The official Call Announcement and other relevant documents are available at the bottom of this page. A summary of the main call features is provided below.
The FLAG-ERA JTC 2017 comprises two topics, one for each Flagship. The Graphene part of the call is sub-divided into two sub-calls, one for basic research and one for applied research and innovation. The sub-calls covers a specific list of research areas listed below.
Graphene (Basic research)
1. Synthesis and characterization of Layered Materials (LMs) beyond graphene
2. Large scale production of heterostructures based on LMs
3. Vertical and lateral epitaxy of Graphene and Related Materials (GRMs) for optoelectronics
4. Functional ceramics incorporating GRMs
5. Inks for printing stable, GRM-based, semiconducting thin films
6. Modelling charge and heat transport in GRM-based composites
7. Ecotoxicology of GRMs
8. Nanofluidics using GRMs
9. Novel device concepts based on GRMs for quantum communication
10. Beyond CMOS switches and new computing paradigms based on GRMs
Graphene (Applied research and innovation)
1. In-situ and ex-situ quality control of GRMs
2. Controlling doping in high quality large-area graphene
3. GRMs for smart textiles
4. Functional coatings using GRMs
5. GRMs for corrosion prevention and as lubricants
6. GRMs for thermal management and thermoelectrics
7. Biorecognition of specific disease markers using GRMs
8. Highly selective gas sensors based on GRMs
9. GRM-based bioelectronic technologies
HBP (Basic and applied research)
1. Human brain intracranial data and their relationship to other aspects of brain organisation
2. Comparing morphology and physiology of cortical cell types in human and non-human primates
3. Comparative aspects of brain function and connectivity
4. Cross-species multi-scale data constraints for visuo-motor integration
5. The neural bases of spatial navigation and episodic memory
6. Models of auditory processing
7. Dynamics and representation in multi-level systems of human cognitive functions
8. Modelling dendrites within active networks
9. Testing predictive coding and attractor network models
10. Biological deep Learning
11. Disease modelling and simulation
12. Innovative modelling for allosteric drug discovery
13. Integration of simulation tools, neuromorphic computing and robotics with brain and behavioural studies for developing next-generation brain-computer interfaces
14. Text mining of cellular, synaptic, connectomic or functional properties of the brain
The following funding organisations are foreseen to participate in the three sub-calls dedicated to the two Flagships:
- Graphene (Basic research): BE, BG, DE, ES, FR, GR, HU, LT, LV, NL, RO, SE, SI, SK, TR
- Graphene (Applied research and innovation): BE, ES, FR, GR, HU, IT, LT, LV, PL, RO, SE, SI, SK, TR
- HBP (Basic and applied research: BE, BG, ES, FR, HU, IT, LT, LV, RO, SE, SI, SK, TR
Each consortium submitting a proposal must involve at least 3 partners from 3 different countries and fulfil at least one of the following two options:
- At least three partners requesting funding from three different countries participating in the JTC.
- At least two partners requesting funding from two different countries participating in the JTC plus a Flagship Core Project partner from a different country (possibly not participating in the call), not requesting funding in the framework of the call and securing its own funding.
Evaluation & Selection
JTC 2017 follows a 2-stage evaluation and selection process. Projects are evaluated by an independent international Scientific Evaluation Panel at both stages. Selection of funded projects is based on the ranking and the available funding.
Association to the Flagships
Submissions must include information on the foreseen Flagship partnership. Projects recommended for funding are invited to proceed with the formal association to the Flagship, using the Flagship standard association procedure. Any issue at this stage is treated through classical project risk management.
Links to relevant documents
To learn more on the topics, eligibility criteria and the submission of proposals to the JTC, please consult the Call Announcement.
To submit a proposal, go to submission.flagera.eu.