** Last updated on November 4, 2020**
FLAG-ERA (the Flagship ERA-NET) will publish its fourth Joint Transnational Call (JTC) for collaborative research projects in synergy with the two FET Flagships by the end of 2020 at www.flagera.eu and other sources of information.
FLAG-ERA gathers National and Regional Funding Organisations (NRFOs) in Europe and beyond with the goal of supporting, together with the European Commission, the FET Flagship initiatives, i.e., the Graphene Flagship and the Human Brain Project (HBP) Flagship. One of its main aims is to allow researchers to complement the current Flagship projects and to collaborate towards the achievement of their vision using existing or dedicated transnational, national and regional calls. In particular, FLAG-ERA aims at launching dedicated JTCs allowing researchers from several countries to jointly contribute to the Flagship goals. Note that researchers interested to work in the framework of the Flagships can also do so using other sources of funding in combination with the Flagship association mechanisms (Graphene Flagship, Human Brain Project).
The purpose of this pre-announcement is to enable interested parties to start building their consortia and preparing their proposals. The call topics, the foreseen list of participating funding organisations and a tentative timeline are provided below. Further information is provided in the FLAG-ERA JTC2021 pre-announcement.
Note that the present pre-announcement is for information purposes only: It does not create any obligation for the FLAG-ERA consortium nor for any of the participating funding organisations, and the official call announcement shall prevail.
The FLAG-ERA JTC 2021 comprises two topics, one for each Flagship. Each topic covers a specific list of research areas listed below and described in the following pages. The Graphene sub-call is sub-divided into two parts, one for basic research and one for applied research and innovation. Relevant parts of the Flagship and contact points for each area are provided on the call web page.
Graphene Basic Research JTC areas
1. Layered Magnetic Materials and Heterostructures
2. Growth and device integration of two-dimensional amorphous materials
3. Scalable growth & device integration of UltraLow Power Spin-Orbit Memories based on GRMs
4. Bacterial degradation of GRMs
5. GRM based devices and circuits for neuromorphic computing
6. Infrared+THz emission and detection with twisted GRMs
7. Functionalized GRMs for advanced multivalent metal-ion batteries (MMIBs)
8. Chemical sensing with GRMs
9. MXene foams for capacitive deionization water desalination
10. Rheological models for GRM suspensions and multiphase flows
Graphene Applied Research and Innovation JTC areas
1. Antiviral protection with GRM-based foams and coatings
2. GRM-based Neural Interfaces for Bioelectronic Medicines
3. GRM-based spectrometer for visible and infrared
4. GRM-based, Ultra-Broadband THz-Transceiver technologies for 6G compliant wireless communication
5. Tuning the hot-carrier lifetime in layered materials heterostructures for photoresponsivity enhancement
6. GRMs for advanced metal-ion supercapacitors
7. GRM-based electrodes for redox flow batteries
8. GRM components for Self-charging and Self-powered Electronics
HBP Research and Innovation JTC areas *
1. Studying genotype-phenotype relationships related to Brain Function
2. Tackling Psychiatric Diseases
3. Accelerating the diagnosis and the development of therapeutic approaches for rare diseases affecting the nervous system
* While preparing the proposals, consortia are encouraged to contact EBRAINS High-Level Support Team (HLST) (firstname.lastname@example.org) if it is of their interest to explore whether the services developed by EBRAINS (https://ebrains.eu/) offer potentially valuable solutions to fulfil their aim. For relevant EBRAINS services related to this call for proposals please refer to section II.
Participating NRFOs and indicative budgets
The following funding organisations are foreseen to participate in the three sub-calls dedicated to the two Flagships:
• Graphene (Basic research): BE (F.R.S.-FNRS), BE (FWO), BG (BNSF), DE (DFG), ES (AEI), ES (IDEPA), ES (ISCIII)*, FR (ANR), HU (NKFIH)*, IL (Innov Auth)*, LT (LMT), LV (VIAA), SE (VR), SI (MIZS), SK (SAS), TR (TUBITAK)
• Graphene (Applied research and innovation): BE (FWO), BG (BNSF), ES (AEI), ES (IDEPA), ES(ISCIII*), FR (ANR), HU (NKFIH)*, IL (Innov Auth)*, LT (LMT), LV (VIAA), RO (UEFISCDI), SI (MIZS), SK (SAS), TR (TUBITAK)
• HBP (Basic and applied research: BE (F.R.S.-FNRS), BE (FWO), BG (BNSF), ES(AEI), ES (ISCIII)*, FR (ANR), HU (NKFIH)*, IL (Innov Auth)*, LT (LMT), LV (VIAA), NL (ZonMW/NWO), RO (UEFISCDI), SI (MIZS), SK (SAS), UK (UKRI)
*to be confirmed
|End of November 2020||Call announcement publication|
|January 2021||Information webinar|
|April 2021||Proposal submission deadline|
|September 2021||Notification of accepted full proposals|
|Nov 2021 – Mar 2022||Project start|